Luigi Lucioni emigrated from his native Italy to the United States in 1911. Already interested in art from the age of six, Lucioni continued his studies at New York schools including the Cooper Union and National Academy of Art and was later granted a scholarship from the Tiffany Foundation. He traveled to Italy in 1925 where he discovered what he referred to as “classic realism” in the works of Italian masters Piero della Francesca, Andrea Mantegna and Leonardo Di Vinci. Lucioni returned to America, where he received his first solo exhibition in 1927. His works were marked by a heightened realism created through invisible brushstrokes and a concentration on the essential elements of each pictured object, especially in his still lifes. One critic described viewing his paintings as similar to “looking at the world through strong myopic lenses.” Lucioni received great praise throughout his life and was an exhibitor at numerous venues including the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Corcoran Gallery, Toledo Museum of Art, and Art Institute of Chicago. Today, his works may be viewed at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Library of Congress, Denver Art Museum, and the Smithsonian American Art Museum.