Edmund Henry Osthaus (1858–1928)
Edmund Osthaus was a distinguished animal painter prized for his lifelike portraits of hunting dogs. Born in Hildesheim, Germany, Osthaus studied at the Royal Academy in Dusseldorf and moved to the United States in 1883. His vivid paintings of champion show dogs and hunting and fishing parties were avidly collected by sporting enthusiasts, and Osthaus exhibited at the Art Institute of Chicago and the San Diego Fine Art Gallery. He served as the Director of the Toledo Academy of Fine Art and was a member of the Toledo Tile Club before moving his studio to Los Angeles in 1911. Today, Osthaus’ work is in such prominent collections as the Toledo Museum of Art, the Butler Institute of American Art, the Washington County Museum of Fine Arts, the Oshkosh Public Museum, and the Port Huron Museum.