Wilson Henry Irvine
An Illinois native, Wilson Henry Irvine studied at the School of the Art Institute in Chicago. In 1914, he began visiting the renowned artist colony at Old Lyme, Connecticut, and after returning from travels to Britain and France, he moved to Connecticut permanently in 1918. An experimental painter, Irvine developed a technique he called “prismatic painting,” in which the light at objects’ edges was accentuated, as if viewed through a prism. In 1934, one of his prismatic masterpieces won best picture in the annual exhibition of the Lyme Art Association. In 1928, he was elected an associate member of the prestigious National Academy of Art. Today, Irvine’s work is in the collections of the Art Institute of Chicago, Florence Griswold Museum, and National Gallery of Art.