Aaron Henry Gorson (1872–1933)
Aaron Henry Gorson was a pioneer landscapist of industrial scenes. Born in Lithuania, Gorson studied at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, as well as the Academie Colarossi and the Academie Julien in Paris. After settling in Pittsburgh, Gorson concentrated on depicting the beauty of urban development, creating glowing, smoky scenes of the smelting and manufacturing mills along the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers. These urban nocturnes were highly celebrated, and Gorson exhibited at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, the Corcoran Gallery Annuals, the Society of Independent Artists, the Art Institute of Chicago, and the National Academy of Design. The Carnegie Institute held a retrospective of Gorson’s paintings in 1967, and his work is currently featured in the Newark Museum, the Worcester Art Museum, the Westmoreland Museum of American Art, and the Heckscher Museum.